canada africa partner reservation Missing man found dead in Chicago: Oswego police

Missing man found dead in Chicago: Oswego police


OSWEGO, IL – A Bolingbrook man missing for more than two years has been found dead, Oswego police said Tuesday evening.

Edward Gardner was 22 when he was reported missing to Oswego police on March 14, 2022.


Police said he lived in Bolingbrook but had family in Oswego.

According to authorities, Gardner’s family, who typically had daily contact with him, decided to report him missing after they became concerned that he had not contacted his family since early the previous day. An acquaintance later reported seeing him on the evening of March 13, 2022, in Chicago’s Woodlawn neighborhood, Patch reported.

A few weeks after Gardner was reported missing, police said his rental car was determined to be involved in a multi-car crash in Hammond, Indiana. According to a March 2022 press release, the driver and passenger of the rental car, a white 2021 Dodge Charger with Florida license plates, were seen fleeing the crash.

Police said that based on information obtained during the investigation into the crash, they do not believe Gardner was one of the occupants.

The Oswego Police Department said it has since worked with nearly 30 agencies, including the Federal Bureau of Investigations and the Drug Enforcement Agency, in an effort to locate Gardner. Multiple searches were conducted, including searches using a K-9 unit.

In 2023, police said they identified “additional associates” of Gardner in hopes of speaking to them, but “a few were murdered” and others were uncooperative during interviews.

On Tuesday, Oswego police said the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office had identified the remains found in the city of Chicago as those of Gardner.

“During this challenging time, we ask the public to keep Mr. Gardner’s family and loved ones in their thoughts and prayers,” police said in a statement. “While the missing persons investigation has concluded, the investigation into Mr. Gardner’s death remains ongoing. The Oswego Police Department will continue to work with those involved.”