canada africa partner reservation #11 Women’s Lacrosse Caught by Yale, Falls in ILT Final 10-9 in 2OT

#11 Women’s Lacrosse Caught by Yale, Falls in ILT Final 10-9 in 2OT


NEW HAVEN, Conn. – The No. 10 and third-seeded University of Pennsylvania women’s lacrosse team led the entirety of Sunday’s Ivy League Tournament final at Reese Stadium. Entirely until the very end, that is, when top-seeded and tournament host Yale scored with 7.4 seconds left in the second overtime for a 10-9 victory.

Penn opened the scoring and held that lead almost all of regulation, but Yale went nearly the length of the field to score a goal and tie things at 9-9 with 5.2 seconds left. Both teams squandered opportunities in the first OT, but the Bulldogs got two bites at the apple in the second extra session and made good on the second to—in a turning of the tables—avenge their OT loss to the Quakers in this game last year in Philadelphia.

Penn falls to 13-4 on the season but fully expects to hear its name called on the NCAA Championship selection show at 9 pm on ESPN2. Yale (15-2) will be in the NCAA field as the Ivy’s automatic qualifier.

Quaker Notemeal

*Senior goalie Kelly Van Hoesensenior defender Izzy Rohrand junior middie Anna Brandt were named to the all-tournament team.

*Van Hoesen finished the day with 10 saves, her third double-digit save game of the season and second in the last three contests.

*Brandt scored four goals on Sunday, giving her 12 for the weekend.

*Senior Lexi Edmonds entered Sunday’s game with five goals but had a hat trick in 2:09 of game time during the second quarter.

*Junior Erika Chung dished out three more assists on Sunday, giving her nine for the weekend which is an Ivy League Tournament record.

*Senior Niki Miles had a goal and two assists on the day, while senior Maria Themelis was the Quakers’ other goal scorer on Sunday giving her two for the weekend.

How It Happened

This game figured to be a defensive battle and it certainly was early, the Quakers finally opening the scoring six minutes in when Chung got the ball on a Yale turnover and found Miles wide open in front for the easy putaway. Nearly five more minutes went by before Brandt got on the board; she started things by clearing the ball on defense, then ended it by sniping home a feed from Miles. Yale got one back with 2:07 left, but Van Hoesen kept it a 2-1 game with her fourth and fifth saves of the period (three of them on free position shots).

Penn came out blazing in the second, scoring four times in the first 3:17. Edmonds started it on a Catherine Berkery feed, then Brandt netted her second. Edmonds hit the next two, firing home a free position and then finishing a Miles feed for the hat trick. At that point it was 6-1 and things were looking up for the Red and Blue Faithful.

Instead, Penn would go nearly 22 minutes without a goal, and the regular-season champion Bulldogs would gradually take advantage. Yale scored twice in the second, with 9:40 and 3:39 left, then added two more in the first nine minutes of the third to get within 6-5 with 6:41 left.

Themelis ended the drought in unorthodox fashion, as she picked up a loose ball with the shot clock near zero and fired home a shot with 4:59 left in the period. Brandt then got the lead back to three in spectacular fashion in the final minute of the third, taking a feed in front and firing home a behind-the-back shot that caught the Yale keeper by surprise. The score was 8-5 after three.

Nearly six minutes went by in the fourth before Brandt scored again, this time in traffic along the left side, to make the score 9-5. Once again, though, Penn’s offense went dry—the Quakers wouldn’t score again—and the champions took advantage. Yale called timeout after that Brandt goal, and after the stoppage the Bulldogs needed less than a minute to get one back. The next goal came about 90 seconds later, and then a missed quick stick was scooped up by another Yale player at the far post, the thank-you-very-much goal making the score 9-8 with 2:51 left.

Yale won the encouraging draw, but a Natasha Gorriaran caused turnover gave Penn the ball with 1:50 left. The Quakers worked the shot clock down but were unable to score, and the Bulldogs got the ball back with 22.2 seconds left and took a timeout. Needing to go two-thirds of the field in that time, Yale was successful and buried the tying goal with 5.2 left.

Yale won the draw in the first extra session and had a shot at the end of the shot clock that went over the bar. Penn successfully cleared by Brandt lost the ball charging to cage from the left side and the first OT ended scoreless. The Bulldogs then won the draw in the second OT but again were unsuccessful. A missed shot was scooped up deep in the corner by Brandt, who ran it out and tried to feed Gorriaran on the clear. The ball got loose and ended up in the stick of a Yale player. The third OT possession was the charm, the hosts securing the win on a quick stick play.

Up Next
Penn will learn its NCAA Championship fate during the selection show Sunday night at 9 pm

For the latest on Penn women’s lacrosse, follow @PennWomensLax on X (formerly Twitter) and Instagram, and on the web at


#EarnEverything | #FightOnPenn